Saturday 22 October 2011

Let my girls be Hermiones, rather than Pansy Parkinsons.

I've been thinking lots about body image lately and had a whole ranty post about the way in which it pervades society. However I think this quote by Harry Potter author JK Rowling sums it up beautifully so I've decided to post that instead:

It's about what girls want to be, what they're told they should be, and how they feel about who they are. I've got two daughters who will have to make their way in this skinny-obsessed world, and it worries me, because I don't want them to be empty-headed, self-obsessed, emaciated clones; I'd rather they were independent, interesting, idealistic, kind, opinionated, original, funny – a thousand things, before 'thin'. And frankly, I'd rather they didn't give a gust of stinking chihuahua flatulence whether the woman standing next to them has fleshier knees than they do. Let my girls be Hermiones, rather than Pansy Parkinsons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to leave a comment, please do - I appreciate every one.